Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The vanilla bean is queen

I decided to conduct an experiment on something that I have wondered about for a long time: Does it make a difference to use a real vanilla bean versus vanilla extract?

We've all seen the recipes that call for a real vanilla bean, and we've all passed them up or substituted vanilla extract. Well, I had enough. I wanted to know what (if anything) I was missing out on.


Enter: Banana cream pie, Williams-Sonoma recipe.


I've made this recipe before, so I knew how it tasted with vanilla extract. I also knew that it was a darn good recipe, so I knew there would be little left to improve upon. So I got out my pink apron and got to cooking.

The results?
The vanilla bean was good...nay...it was AMAZING. Every time Stephen takes a bite of it, he always comments, "I really like the vanilla flavor in this. A lot." If something is good enough for Stephen to continually offer praise, even hours after eating it, I know it is that good. The presents a problem. Now I know what I am missing...and Stephen knows what he is missing too. So, it looks like I'll be stuck paying exorbitant prices for vanilla beans in the future for those extra special desserts.

3 comments:

  1. can you make a pie when we go to Wisconsin, please??? using vanilla of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the Knable's would be smiling. It would be a competition with the bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I can make a pie! It seems to be your lucky day considering I decided to perfect a banana cream pie recipe ;o)

    My extra vanilla bean will be put to good use at Musky Drunk '09!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!