Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Breaking the Silence

Apparently it has been an entire month since the last time I posted anything. That also means that it has been an entire month since I have been on vacation. While the realization of that tiny fact is enough to make me cry myself to sleep, I come bearing good news.

WE NOW HAVE A REFRIGERATOR WITH SHELVES!!!!! (In case the scrolling marquee is not working for you, it says, "WE NOW HAVE A REFRIGERATOR WITH SHELVES!!!!!")

Not only does it have shelves, it is BEAUTIFUL. As Mrs. Chen put it, it's my
kitchen "bling."

We won't go into the details of how I managed this (which may or may not have included a standoff in Home Depot where I refused to move until we actually purchased the darn thing), but it was delivered last week right before
I went to go babysit this little cutie pie.


But this acquisition was not without issues. There may have also been a moment (week) of panic where we weren't sure if it was going to fit. Of course we measured the width of the opening where it would stand, but we forgot to measure something else.

You see, as we were literally purchasing the refrigerator, I happened to notice a small sign saying something to the effect of, "don't forget to measure ALL entryways that the appliance will be going through." Hmm.


So when we got home, I quietly took out the tape measure and measured the opening to the kitchen. 30 inches.



Our refrigerator? 33 inches. At its smallest
spot.

This led to a series of events that I am not too proud to admit, including Stephen cutting (more) holes in the wall to find out the construction of the interior wall and deciding to cut away 5 inches from the wall...and then a phone call to a certain father-in-law where they both determined to just "wait and see" what happened when it was delivered.

I? Was not too keen on that path forward. As soon as Stephen was out of town, Holly and I marched over to Home Depot to measure the thing sans doors. 27.5 inches. Phew.


When they finally arrived to deliver the fridge a week and a half later, they had some initial issues getting it to fit through the entryway...but eventually, it did.


And now nothing falls out when I open the door.

VICTORY!!!

1 comment:

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!