Sunday, December 12, 2010

I Ate Head Cheese.

I can't even believe it myself.  And please, PLEASE, no one tell me what is really in head cheese.  My stomach STILL feels queasy whenever I think about it.  (Pick your jaws up off the floor, Mom and Dad.  I know this was out of character for me.)


And no, it didn't taste horrible.  But I don't think I'll ever, EVER eat it again.


But I'll back up.  Yesterday, Hubs and I went to the Schnitzel Platz for lunch and had a whole lotta German food.  I'll begin the onslaught of bad iPhone pics...now.
Schnitzel Platz!!
It was cold. And raining. Perfect for some comfort food!

You can't go to Schnitzel Platz and not have beer. This wheat beer was delicious.
Mmmmmmm beeerrrrr
This was the house salad. I pity those unassuming people who walk into a German restaurant thinking that their house salad will be lettuce and salad dressing.

I'll also mention that I did try a slice of beet, and NO, I STILL DO NOT LIKE THEM. (Now Mom, Dad, Patti, and Theresa can all pick their jaws up off the floor.)


Oy, there she is. The head cheese. ::Gag::
Head cheese
::Still gagging::


Ahhhhhh, something more pleasant than mystery meat in gelatin - Spaztle and cheese! Lots and lots of cheese. I could only eat 3 bites with that much cheese.
Spatzle and cheese
Hubs had goulash with potato pancakes. I practically had to stop him from licking all the goulash/gravy off his plate. Not embarrassing at all.
Goulash and potato pancakes
When dessert time came around, I ordered a hot apple tart dish. It was delicious...
Dessert!
...until Hubs asked me why I didn't order the home made Apple Strudel. (I didn't even hear the waiter say it was an option!)  After 5 minutes of agonizing over my missed opportunity to have home made German Apple Strudel, Hubs came to my rescue and ordered it anyway.
Home made apple strudel
It was heavenly.

...but I'm pretty sure that there weren't any old ladies in the back rolling it up with a table cloth.


(For those who don't know that story already, I'm shocked.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!