Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Lesson in Bokeh

If you've never heard of bokeh before, you're not alone.  In fact, up until a few months ago, I would have thought it was the name of a Polish dessert or something (I'm just being real, here).


Bokeh is a photography term.  According to Wikipedia, bokeh is “the blur, or the aesthetic quality of the blur, in out-of-focus areas of an image.”

Let me put this in clearer focus for you (hah).
IMG_3136
See those round, colorful, wonderfully blurry orbs made by the out-of-focus christmas lights?  That's bokeh.  And it's pretty.

A few weeks ago, I started seeing pictures of shaped bokeh.
IMG_3150
Heart-shaped bokeh and the Dutch Sinterklaas
I was amazed.  And I wanted to recreate it.
IMG_3164
So I found a tutorial, and I couldn't believe how simple it was.  A few dark scraps of wrapping paper, some tape, and 10 minutes later, I had my tool.


IMG_3146
Not bad.  Not bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a neat effect! I can't wait to try that. keep the photography tips coming!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!