A few days before Valentine's day, I got a package from my mommy in the mail. Any package from her is bound to be good and packed with thoughtfulness...and this one sure didn't disappoint.
Along with some adorable Valentines, candy (not pictured because I ate it), and some homemade chocolate pretzels (which I had to hide from Hubs, or they wouldn't have been pictured, either), there was a crocheted heart.
This heart was made by my Grams. She passed away 3 weeks after our wedding, and she was the spunkiest, most darling old school Dutch lady you've ever met. Since my other grandparents passed away when I was very young, Grams was the only grandparent I really had growing up. I loved her to pieces, and I miss her like crazy.
![]() |
| Me and Grams at her 90th birthday party in 2006 (also back when I had blonde hair, apparently) |
So to receive this heart was the best possible Valentine's Day present I could ever dream of. Grams didn't have many things, so anything I do get from her is absolutely priceless - especially something that she made with her own two hands.
Of course, I cried my eyes out and then proceeded to call my mom and cry my eyes out again while simultaneously trying to say 'thank you for sending the heart' - I was clearly a mess... But Grams would have just said "Oh heck!" and given me a coy smirk.
I'm thinking that this heart is destined to be framed and hung on the wall as a tribute to Grams. I know she's up There having a blast, and is probably in the corner of the coffee shop in Heaven, looking out across everyone and tapping her foot to the music.
And in the meantime, her heart will go on right here in the DG.


No comments:
Post a Comment
I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!