Friday, August 12, 2011

Past Due | A Spelling Lesson

I don't know why, but whenever people see something spelled incorrectly, they automatically tell me about it (ok, I do know why).

There has been a sign hanging up at work pointing to a conference room for the past (the CORRECT way to use that word, btw) week. It was a lovely sign that someone obviously put thought into, with colorful question marks and a block arrow pointing the way.

What's the problem, you ask?

Well, they spelled "past" as "passed."

Little by little, people kept telling me about this sign. I also PASSED (the CORRECT way to use that word, btw) by the sign every morning and became gradually more annoyed. I don't want people thinking that was the correct usage of the word. I had a civic duty to perform!

So early this morning before everyone else got into the office, I got out a big, fat red marker...and I fixed it.


The comms lead in me was giddy. The more sensitive side of me was wondering if I should have done it. "Past and passed do sound almost exactly the same..."

But in the end, I'm glad I did it. I kept hearing people saying, "Did you see that someone finally corrected that sign? HILARIOUS."

As I saw on a pinterest pin the other day, "We are a Fortune 500 company, not a lemonade stand."

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!