Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Long Overdue Visit

This weekend, we had a very special treat.  My Uncle and Aunt came to visit the girls in the family...which is a pretty big deal since we haven't seen them in a looonngggggg time.

We were all beyond excited.  Hubs and I, and Pin, saw this as an opportunity to FINALLY host family at our respective houses.  So we offered to host dinner, and Pin offered to give them a place to sleep and host breakfast the next morning.

Given the craziness of things last week, we didn't have much time to plan the menu.  I know, it's practically unheard of with Hubs involved.  So bright and early on Saturday morning, Hubs scampered off to Whole Foods and I trudged through cleaning the house.

He came home with lobster.  Two LIVE lobsters. Weighing almost 5 pounds each.

All set!He was so excited, he was practically skipping around the kitchen (side note:  good thing I cleaned out the fridge from top to bottom before he got home!).  (another side note:  this is what happens when I don't go along grocery shopping.)

Not only that, he came home with oysters, clams, and flank steak.  Hubs doesn't do anything halfway anymore when it comes to food.  And, as he said, this was a really special occasion.


Hours later, when the house was FINALLY clean, the napkins were ironed (oh yes, I don't do anything halfway anymore when it comes to table settings.  I will IRON THE NAPKINS!) and the table was set (why oh WHY do I ALWAYS forget to take nice pictures of the table?!), our beloved Uncle and Aunt arrived. (Along with Mrs. Chen, who was sadly sans husband for the evening and therefore requested to become a part of our family for the night.  And, of course, she fit right in.)

They are adorable.
The appetizer course consisted of Oysters Rockefeller, mussels steamed in white wine, assorted cheeses, and spinach dip.  Pictures were not taken since I didn't want to immediately shove the camera into the faces of my poor Uncle and Aunt.
Mmmm butter....
And then came the main event.  Hubs made sure to create quite the production of the live lobsters, much to Mindy's dismay.  Observe:

This picture kills me.  Flipping hilarious.
Pin was very concerned about what was happening with the lobsters.

First one goes in...

Who needs a mallet when you have a hammer? 
Once they were finally finished cooking, dinner was served.  And it was spectacular.

"What am I supposed to do with this?  Uncle Berrrrrttttttt...."
We had such a great time, that our guests didn't leave until 11:30PM!  (Dad - your brother is quite the party animal!)

So sad that this came out blurry :(
 

The next morning, we got up bright and early accidentally slept until 10:30AM when we were supposed to leave at 10:45 and met up with the group at Chandler's in Schompton for lunch.

Uncle Bert and Aunt Riek were so sweet and treated us all to lunch.  Bar, Ingy, and Jackson were even able to make the trek up north.

Family_Pic_2



(There was a very spirited game of hide and seek going on with Hubs and Jackson)
Sadly, after lunch, we had to say goodbye to our Aunt and Uncle so they could head back home.  But this time, we vowed to not let this much time pass between seeing each other again.
FAMILY REUNION 2012 WOOOO!!!


1 comment:

  1. Texas says: where do I begin??? Table setting is drop dead gorgeous, the flank steak makes me want to MOVE IN and the pictures are hilarious (though I am not sure which is funnier - Hubs' lobster antenna or Pin's pointed curiosity)!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!