Thursday, July 16, 2009

Food I Heart: Mexican Deep Dish "Pizza"

Mad props to Rachel Ray for this recipe. It has a corn bread base and delicious Mexican toppings (and cheese, of course ::drool::). Super easy and super fast, and you can use whatever toppings you want if you don't like all the ones here.


Mexican Deep Dish Pizza

Base:
2 boxes corn muffin mix, 8½ ounces each (recommended: Jiffy)

2 eggs
4 tbsp melted butter
1½ cups milk
Extra-virgin olive oil or, vegetable oil, for drizzling

Topping:
2 tbsp extra-virgin or vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp cayenne sauce
Salt
2½ cups shredded Cheddar or jack cheese
½ red bell pepper, chopped
1 small can, 2¼ oz. sliced chillies or jalapeƱos, drained
2 scallions, chopped
2 small vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 to 2 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves, optional garnish
Mild to medium taco sauce to pass at table, 1 cup

Preheat oven to 400°.

Mix together 2 packages muffin mix with 2 eggs, 4 tablespoons melted butter (melt in microwave 30 seconds), and 1½ cups milk. Wipe a nonstick skillet with a little extra or vegetable oil and pour in the muffin mix. Use a large skillet, 10 to 12 inch. Choose a pan with oven safe handle or, double-wrap handle with foil to protect it in the oven. Place pan in oven and bake 12 to 15 minutes in center of the oven until light golden in color.

Brown the meat over medium high heat in a second skillet in extra or vegetable oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions and spices and cook meat 5 minutes more.

Remove cornbread from oven and top with meat, cheese, and veggies. Add pan back to oven and cook 5 minutes more to melt cheese.

Garnish with cilantro, optional. Cut into 8 wedges and serve the deep dish pan pizza from the skillet. Pass taco sauce at the table to sprinkle on top.

Yields: 4 servings, 2 slices each

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm yum. I wish I had a iron skillet. I know, shock I don't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, you can make this in any frying pan with high walls...I didn't have an iron skillet until the wedding, so I just made it in my frying pan! You could make this in your Le Creuset too since that goes in the oven, but the base might need to cook longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cilantro is never optional.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!