Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Back Rack That Almost Wasn't (Or, Why We Should Have Had Them Install It)

You'd think that something like a rear rack on a bike would be easy to install, right? A few screws here, a few bolts there, tighten, and voila! Gear toting readiness.


Uh, notsomuch.

It was supposed to be simple. It was not.

Ok, first of all? These idiots that make directions now only in picture form instead of INSTRUCTING you on what to do can get a life. If you can't read English, or can't read at all, you have bigger fish to fry than to complain about how instructions should be modified to cater to your issues.

Care for an illustration of a useless illustration?


And don't even play like these are totally clear to you, either. You're not fooling me.

Our only option was to go online and search for pictures of how it's supposed to look.


And another thing! One should not have to own a hack saw to install a stupid bike rack (see illustration 4 on useless illustrations). Come on.

Since we happened to own a hack saw that was broken from some other insane home improvement project, we were forced to break out the angle grinder again.


Again, one should not have to own an angle grinder to install a bike rack.

(Also notice how I was behind glass when taking this picture. Until I was called in to help hold the bar. I may have been excited to wear the safety glasses again. Safety glasses = me looking more important than I actually am to whatever is happening necessitating the use of said safety glasses.)


Over an hour later, it was finally installed. Hubs can now ride his bike to work if he so chooses since this fantastic rear rack can hold his laptop and files.


And we can take more picnics!


But one last point - we should have taken my advice when we were at the bike store and I said, "we should just have them install it for free like they offered."

Men. Always gotta break out that angle grinder.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but this post reminded me of a time when I needed a grinder for CALLIGRAPHY class! Oh, and I envy your hub's new bike saddlebag. I imagine loading it up with art supplies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Rain - For calligraphy class?! You'll have to explain that to me one day.

    I also happen to envy his saddlebag... So much so that I've whined about it enough to have him agree to get me one too :D

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!