Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dinner Fail (Or, Look How Much I Can Ramble On About Things You Couldn't Care Less About)

In the spirit of total honesty, and since some people think that I have some magical cooking skillz (HAH!), I'm here to disclose my latest dinner FAIL.

Let's set the background, shall we?  Today was insanity.  Yesterday was 12 hours of insanity.  The weeks prior to this one have been total insanity.

The presentation I have been working on for a month was sent directly to the CIO, my VP, a few AVPs, and my Director today.  With a company the size of mine, this is kind of a big deal.  (And as long as we're disclosing everything here, I am only pulled in for my mad PowerPoint, creativity, and organization skillz...I don't actually own the data.)  Needless to say, I've been burning the candle at both ends for quite awhile now...and my brain is complete mush.

So, after I saw the infamous email with all my pain (literally), sweat (literally), and tears (literally) sent to the recipients listed above, I momentarily held my breath in panic, and then got the hell out of work (sorry, Mom and Dad, but this totally deserved the H word).  I. was. done.

All I really wanted to do was sit on the couch and watch endless episodes of Grey's Anatomy on Hulu, but since I missed going to the gym all last week due to my phantom stomach issues (don't ask) (yes, I went to the doctor) (no, I'm NOT PREGNANT), I decided to be a good girl and go.  I even WALKED there.

45 minutes later, I bounce out of the gym, walk across the street to the grocery store (ah, the joys of living in a downtown area), pick up some delicious strip steak pinwheels, asparagus, and sweet potatoes, and head home...where Hubs is practically dying of hunger.

So I take these pinwheel steaks and slap them in the oven.  20 minutes later, they look done, so I call Hubs for dinner.

:: Side Note ::
I'll break here to say that Hubs has been even more busy at work lately than me.  He's teaching a class to his clients all week and it's kind of a big deal, and he has to complete his regular work on top of that each night.  Tonight was no different, and he was working while this whole dinner fiasco went down.
:: End Side Note ::

Hubs comes in, takes one look at them, and tells me they aren't done yet.  This results in me feeling bad that I pulled him away from work to tell me something that HELLO I should have known.  I've been on my own for, what? Over 7 years now?

Think I felt bad that time?   This happened THREE MORE TIMES AFTER THAT.  The poor guy is trying to work, and is instead called into the kitchen every 5 minutes to state the obvious.

Like I said, I'm fried.

But! That's not the end!  (If you made it this far, you must REALLY be bored).  Since the meat wasn't done, I put the lid back on the grilled asparagus (that I had cooked to PERFECTION, mind you!) to keep it warm.

...They ended up way overcooked from the residual heat of the pan.  Like, limp, stringy, stuck in the back of your throat, overcooked.  I HATE asparagus when it's overcooked.  It reminds me of my ex-roommate.  (Pin, I know you hear me on this one.)

I bet you're dying to see a picture of this epic dinner fail.  And I aim to please.  After all, one should be  rewarded for sticking with me through this pointless novel that I really had no reason to tell.

Dinner fail 2

...but it actually tasted really good.  Quasi-fail?

(Also, I apologize for the ridiculous size of this post just to tell you that I overcooked my asparagus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment!